Day of Prayer for youth scheduled Saturday in Homewood
A Day of Prayer for youth is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in Homewood at the old Kentucky Fried Chicken parking lot on the corner of Frankstown and Homewood avenues.
Organizers are asking folks to bang drums, blow horns and play other musical instruments at 1 p.m. to signal the beginning of prayer for youths.
Chad Johnson, chaplain for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Mel Blount, former Steeler and founder of The Mel Blount Youth Home of Pennsylvania, are scheduled to appear. Call Oliver Dent at 412-425-1567 if you're interested in playing an instrument.
Organizer Shirley Jones Douglas said she asked bars and other businesses in the area to turn down their music at 1 p.m. Saturday to pray and all said they would.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Casino thief’s attorney blames casino; judge isn’t swayed
- Fugitive arrested at Plum Super 8 motel on drug and gun charges
- 2 firefighters injured in Millvale house fire
- Projects advance through Pittsburgh planning commission despite opposition
- Man shot several times in Allentown neighborhood
- Remains of 4 early colonial leaders discovered at Jamestown
- Boy Scouts’ end to ban on gay leaders unnerves religious groups
- W.Va. authorities charge 87 with drug trafficking
- ‘Turf battle’ blamed in fights that canceled Carrick church festival
- Newsmaker: Megan Cicconi