Day of Prayer for youth scheduled Saturday in Homewood
A Day of Prayer for youth is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in Homewood at the old Kentucky Fried Chicken parking lot on the corner of Frankstown and Homewood avenues.
Organizers are asking folks to bang drums, blow horns and play other musical instruments at 1 p.m. to signal the beginning of prayer for youths.
Chad Johnson, chaplain for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Mel Blount, former Steeler and founder of The Mel Blount Youth Home of Pennsylvania, are scheduled to appear. Call Oliver Dent at 412-425-1567 if you're interested in playing an instrument.
Organizer Shirley Jones Douglas said she asked bars and other businesses in the area to turn down their music at 1 p.m. Saturday to pray and all said they would.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Food assistance rises in Western Pa. despite drop in jobless rate
- Killings of police officers leave departments on edge
- Pope Francis calls for abortion mercy
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Judge allows conspiracy lawsuit against UPMC, Highmark to proceed
- Newsmaker: Bob Gilbert
- Woman commits suicide in North Braddock police holding cell
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- Pittsburgh poised to settle lawsuits from deadly flash flood in 2011
- North Shore’s Lacock Street to close 3 weeks for construction