Quaker Valley names new superintendent
The Quaker Valley school board named Heidi Ondek as the district's superintendent on Thursday, saying she earned their respect and trust as assistant superintendent.
Ondek, 51, will replace Joseph Clapper, the superintendent since 2007, when he retires before fall. She'll be paid $157,500 annually, effective July 1.
“It's already just an amazing school system, so it's a matter of going to the next level with an amazing school board, a talented staff and just wonderfully supportive families,” Ondek said. “All of the key ingredients are here.”
Before becoming assistant superintendent, Ondek was principal of Quaker Valley High School from 2004 to 2006. She had been an elementary school principal in Northgate School District for seven years.
She earned a doctorate in administrative and policy studies at the University of Pittsburgh in 2003.
School directors in February voted to spend $12,450 to work with Homestead-based Allegheny Intermediate Unit and Mechanicsburg-based Pennsylvania School Boards Association on the district's quest to replace Clapper.
School board Vice President Rob Riker said Ondek is a “tremendous asset to this district, earning respect and trust from just about everyone she's encountered.”
“During the search process, she demonstrated beautifully her readiness to assume the chief executive role.”
Bobby Cherry is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-324-1408 or email@example.com.
Add Bobby Cherry to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inappropriate dress wears thin in schools, courts, jails, elsewhere
- Pennsylvania legislative redistricting to take full effect in state House elections
- Stand Down Pittsburgh reaches out to veterans, homeless civilians
- Newsmaker: Julie Smith
- Man arrested after showing up at hospital with gunshot wounds
- Wolf, Corbett stump in Western Pennsylvania
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Project 15206 finds goals for rain
- Wilkinsburg couple arrested after baby girl dies following beating