Miss Pennsylvania makes Top 20, spotlights serious issue
The Top 20 was as close at Valerie Gatto, a 2007 North Hills High School graduate, would come to the Miss USA crown.
Gatto, a Cranberry resident competing as Miss Pennsylvania, advanced to the Top 20 out of the 51 contestants Sunday night at the Miss USA pageant in Baton Rouge, La. She was the second-to-last semifinalist to be named.
After modeling in swimsuits, the Top 10 were announced, but Gatto wasn't among those who moved on to the evening gown competition.
Her story was a part of the show, however. Announcers continually referred to Gatto as a woman overcoming the odds. Celebrity hosts Giuliana Rancic mentioned Gatto's story early on in the show when talking about some of the amazing stories of the women vying for the crown. Gatto's mother was sexually assaulted at knifepoint when she was young, and from that experience became pregnant with Gatto.
Gatto wanted to win the title to continue to share her story and spotlight a serious issue. A big part of Miss USA is that she reaches out to charities. Gatto has been doing that through her website, www.valeriegatto.com, and through speaking engagements.
“People are stunned,” she previously told the Tribune-Review. “They ask to give me a hug and are emotional. It gives them hope.”
The crown went to Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez
JoAnne Klimovich Harrop is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Horse racing industry banks on Wolf
- Savings, aesthetics of LED praised, but streetlight conversion could cost Pittsburgh $13M
- Stores creating Thanksgiving dine-and-dash dilemma
- Challenge Program at Pittsburgh Milliones gives students incentive to succeed
- Cybersecurity experts warn Pittsburgh conference about dangers of hacking
- Youngsters embrace technology that combines art, software in 3D printing
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families
- Man’s death by runaway wheel on Route 28 ruled accident
- WVU frat brothers charged with hazing pledges
- Newsmaker: Shauna D’Alessandro
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects