Newsmakers: John and Sheri Lee
Noteworthy: John and Sheri Lee founded Heroes Supporting Heroes in 2012. The volunteer program started by helping other military families in the 911th Airlift Wing with household maintenance and has expanded to help disabled veterans, wounded warriors and the elderly.
Ages: John, 44; Sheri, 41
Family: The Lees have two children, Caleb, 11, and Lily, 9
Occupation: John is a program analyst for the Office of Personnel Management, a Marine Corps veteran and a senior master sergeant in the Air Force Reserve. He's the engineering superintendent of the 911th's Civil Engineering Squadron. Sheri Lee has 20 years of business experience and is a stay-at-home mom.
Background: The Lees founded the program after John returned from his sixth deployment and they discussed how difficult it was for Sheri to maintain their house while he was away. The program started with the Lees and their two children cutting grass, cleaning gutters and trimming trees for other 911th families. As the number of volunteers grew, it expanded into the community and combined resources with another volunteer group, West Allegheny Workshop. They've completed more than 170 projects in the first two years.
Quote: “I had no idea it was going to turn into this,” John said. “I really didn't.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- Pa. Turnpike claims software fraud, wants $45M
- New Turnpike Chairman Sean Logan institutes Wolf’s gift ban at commission
- Aging weather satellite may be leaving forecasters with a large blind spot
- FTC chief Brill calls on companies to protect privacy online
- Fitzgerald nominates mining industry businessman for Finance and Development Commission
- Penn Hills water main break creates car-swallowing sinkhole
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Veterans Affairs settles another Pittsburgh-area Legionnaire’s lawsuit