Northgate school to undergo cleaning, following MRSA infection report
A mild case of MRSA, a staph infection, has been confirmed in a staff member at Northgate Middle/High School.
On Thursday, school officials discovered that the staffer had been diagnosed with the infection, said Northgate School District Superintendent Joseph W. Pasquerilla, who said the staffer had been out of school ill since late last week.
“In order to be proactive in the prevention of communicable disease, the entire building will be extensively cleaned by a professional company,” Pasquerilla wrote in a letter posted on the district's website on Thursday.
Parents were notified by an automated call system, he said.
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, is a potentially dangerous type of staph bacteria that is resistant to certain antibiotics and may cause skin and other infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
MRSA is spread by direct contact with another person or touching contaminated surfaces, the CDC says.
A company will start cleaning the school building on Monday and expects to be finished by Friday, Pasquerilla said.
Over the summer, about 15 staffers are working in the building, but they have been relocated to another building until the cleaning is finished, he said.
No student activities will be allowed in the school until that time, he said.
Students who live in Bellevue or Avalon attend Northgate.
Tory N. Parrish is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-5662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- City’s plan for Strip flummoxes vendors
- Orders for Pittsburgh police hats soar with new uniform policy
- Local groups hope NFL lends support
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Marshall land parcel along Route 910 eyed as park site
- CDC backlog means W.Pa, likely won’t get respiratory virus diagnoses quickly
- $5M grant sought for trade center site near Pittsburgh airport
- Judge denies request to lift gag order in Ford case
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Bethel Park settled police officer’s suit for $25,000
- 2 Oakland houses destroyed by fire; none hurt