Newsmaker: Brian Stein
Noteworthy: Stein won the 2014 Lewis Shattuck Small Business Advocate of the Year Award from the National Small Business Association, which represents 65,000 companies nationwide.
Residence: Middlesex, Butler County
Family: Wife, Cindy
Occupation: Stein is president and CEO of S&S Intersource LLC in Mars, a refractory products business that serves the steel industry, and two other steel-related companies, ISM Inc. and Clearscape Inc.
Background: Stein is chairman-elect of SMC Business Councils in Churchill, which represents about 1,500 small- and medium-sized companies in the region. He is chairman of SMC's Tax Working Group. He has advocated in Harrisburg and Washington for broad tax reform and a level playing field for small companies.
Education: Bachelor's degree in petroleum and natural gas engineering from Penn State in 1987
Quote: “The award was an honor because as a small-business person you go through life not looking for awards, but looking out for your family and your business.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Hills transit service limits lamented
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard
- Downtown Pittsburgh Macy’s donates bits of history
- Founder of Operation Safety Net in Pittsburgh named one of CNN’s 2015 Top 10 Heroes
- Siblings sue over gas rights in Jefferson Hills land parcel
- Bishop Zubik visits Mooncrest Community Center
- Newsmaker: Rudolph ‘Rudy’ Zupancic
- Allegheny County Sheriff’s deputies apprehend one of county’s ‘most wanted fugitives’
- Shell, Center water authority reach agreement on relocating water source
- Former employee at Plum home-building firm charged with embezzling nearly $200K
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission meeting on plans for work on area near Pittsburgh short on details