Newsmaker: Brian Stein
Noteworthy: Stein won the 2014 Lewis Shattuck Small Business Advocate of the Year Award from the National Small Business Association, which represents 65,000 companies nationwide.
Residence: Middlesex, Butler County
Family: Wife, Cindy
Occupation: Stein is president and CEO of S&S Intersource LLC in Mars, a refractory products business that serves the steel industry, and two other steel-related companies, ISM Inc. and Clearscape Inc.
Background: Stein is chairman-elect of SMC Business Councils in Churchill, which represents about 1,500 small- and medium-sized companies in the region. He is chairman of SMC's Tax Working Group. He has advocated in Harrisburg and Washington for broad tax reform and a level playing field for small companies.
Education: Bachelor's degree in petroleum and natural gas engineering from Penn State in 1987
Quote: “The award was an honor because as a small-business person you go through life not looking for awards, but looking out for your family and your business.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trial of bar owner accused of shooting cyclist in Allentown begins
- Lawrenceville man charged with rape, child pornography and 27 other sexual offenses
- Pittsburgh’s Downtown tops ranking of small to midsized cities
- Wilkinsburg father ordered to have no contact with daughter or her grandmother
- Long-term closures at Carnegie interchange on Parkway West to begin
- Teacher conduct under spotlight in Pennsylvania
- Inmate care in Allegheny County Jail generates worries
- Icy streets leave some in Pittsburgh neighborhoods critical of city
- Marshals find suspect in fatal Mercer County shooting in Pittsburgh
- Free speech wall rises at Carlow University
- Interstate smash-and-grab jewelry ring may be operating in Pittsburgh area, Altoona