Tribune-Review staffers take home 4 Clarion Awards
Tribune-Review staffers won four awards in a media competition that drew entries from 23 states and three countries.
In the contest sponsored by the Association for Women in Communication, Clarion Awards went to political writer Salena Zito for her opinion section columns; columnist Nafari Vanaski in the non-opinion/informative column category; reporters Luis Fábregas, Mike Wereschagin and Adam Smeltz, for their investigation of a deadly outbreak of Legionnaires' disease at a Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs hospital; and Randy Bish for a selection of editorial cartoons.
The Trib's four awards were more than those won by any other news organization. Other news category winners included USA Today, Philadelphia Daily News, The Wall Street Journal, Reuters and the Washington Post. The group presented 92 awards to newspapers, magazines, online services, television broadcasters and other communication agencies.
This is the second year in a row Zito has won a Clarion for opinion column writing and her third overall; she won in 2011 as well.
Vanaski's columns appear on Thursdays on the cover of the City&Region section and address a variety of topics, including family issues, race and local politics.
The investigation of the Legionnaires' outbreak revealed that the VA failed to follow procedures that could have prevented the spread of the disease, that officials received thousands of dollars in performance bonuses despite the outbreak and that shoddy care contributed to at least 21 deaths in VA hospitals across the country.
Bish's editorial cartoons appear six times a week on the opinion page. He won a Clarion in 2012.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh airport improvements noted as CEO tries to expand activity
- Developers share their vision for Garden Theater block on North Side
- Volunteer tutors boost adult literacy in Allegheny County
- Downtown Macy’s building to lose OASIS to closer parent organization
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s banding program a labor of love for avian expert
- National Night Out ‘a start’ for violence-prone Homewood
- Roman Catholic Church in midst of culture clash over gays
- Allegheny County Council candidates chosen for District 11 ballot
- East Liberty man arrested in connection with Larimer shooting
- Newsmaker: Harry J. Gruener
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh