Newsmaker: Thomas White
Noteworthy: The American Association of State and Local History will honor White with a Leadership in History Award of Merit for his book, “Witches of Pennsylvania: Occult History and Lore.”
Residence: West View
Education: Bachelor's degree in history from La Roche College; master's degree in public history from Duquesne University.
Occupation: Archivist and curator of special collections at Duquesne University since 2005
Background: Ross native. Previously worked at the Senator John Heinz History Center in the Strip District.
About the book: Published last year by The History Press, it examines the role witchcraft has played in state history, including in criminal trials and folklore.
Quote: “One of my areas of interest is a cultural history of Pennsylvania. I like looking at how folklore relates to history.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Pittsburgh poised to settle lawsuits from deadly flash flood in 2011
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- 2 Brentwood council members keep positions, council approves third resignation
- Bettis lab, 4 others receive new name
- Newsmaker: John Malone
- Board members bring business attitude to nonprofit August Wilson
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- 3 Brentwood council members submit resignation letters
- Wilkinsburg School District hires embattled Penn Hills business affairs director