Newsmaker: Joseph McCamey
Noteworthy: A noncommissioned information technology specialist aboard the U.S.S. Georgia, one of the world's most advanced guided missile submarines, McCamey has been selected for promotion to chief petty officer.
Family: Wife, Shelly; daughters, Ashley, Rebecca and Josie Ann.
Occupation: Navy information technology specialist (submarines).
Background: Enlisting in the Navy in 1998, McCamey now serves on the Gold Crew of nearly 150 officers and enlisted sailors aboard one of four Ohio-class submarines renowned for their rapid speed, striking ability and stealth. The Georgia — designated in the Navy as SSGN 729 — is part of Submarine Group Ten in Kings Bay, Ga.
Education: A graduate of Perry Traditional Academy in Observatory Hill, McCamey completed the Navy's Fire Control Technician School in 1998, System Administrator School Network Security Vulnerability School in 2002, Advanced Network Analysis in 2004 and Information Systems Security Managers School in 2012. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems from DeVry University in 2010.
Quote: “I come to work every day, where I get to operate on multi-million dollar equipment at a younger age than anyone in the civilian world ever would.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brentwood vigil marks death of black motorist 19 years ago, other deaths
- Pittsburgh student jailed after striking school police officer
- Pittsburgh mayoral staffers appointed to Wolf’s transition team
- Man questioned in Penn Hills parents’ disappearance
- Thanks to $75K grant, startup to bring food to underserved in Pittsburgh
- Bridge work to cause early morning traffic stoppages on Parkway West off-ramp in Carnegie
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- Investors eager to trade cash for green cards in immigration program
- Strip District Produce Terminal talks take separate tables
- Pittsburgh ‘VetTogether’ event makes sure veterans are suited for the job
- Monroeville woman in collision with police vehicle dies