Newsmaker: Joseph McCamey
Noteworthy: A noncommissioned information technology specialist aboard the U.S.S. Georgia, one of the world's most advanced guided missile submarines, McCamey has been selected for promotion to chief petty officer.
Family: Wife, Shelly; daughters, Ashley, Rebecca and Josie Ann.
Occupation: Navy information technology specialist (submarines).
Background: Enlisting in the Navy in 1998, McCamey now serves on the Gold Crew of nearly 150 officers and enlisted sailors aboard one of four Ohio-class submarines renowned for their rapid speed, striking ability and stealth. The Georgia — designated in the Navy as SSGN 729 — is part of Submarine Group Ten in Kings Bay, Ga.
Education: A graduate of Perry Traditional Academy in Observatory Hill, McCamey completed the Navy's Fire Control Technician School in 1998, System Administrator School Network Security Vulnerability School in 2002, Advanced Network Analysis in 2004 and Information Systems Security Managers School in 2012. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems from DeVry University in 2010.
Quote: “I come to work every day, where I get to operate on multi-million dollar equipment at a younger age than anyone in the civilian world ever would.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Number of jobs in high-tech industry outpace workers in Pittsburgh, nation
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Mandated sewer project to increase Alcosan customers’ bills
- Allegheny police seek non-custodial dad, missing 4-year-old son
- Nonprofits replace humdrum charity 5Ks with rappelling
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Fees, interest mount over August Wilson site, Dollar claims
- State awards 6 Western Pennsylvania schools mentoring grants
- Internet access still out of reach for some, Census figures show
- Artist who painted Wilkinsburg house raises funds for ‘gentle demolition’
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat