Development deal set for hotel, convention space, international trade center near Pittsburgh International Airport
A plan for an international trade center and hotel and convention space near Pittsburgh International Airport will move forward on Thursday morning when Gov. Tom Corbett and other elected officials will announce a development deal, the governor's office said.
The public-private partnership will help develop a brownfield site into a “world-class” trade center, according to the governor's office. The site will include office space, room for research and development work, and a 400-room hotel with convention space, according to Corbett's office.
For the past two years, the Allegheny County Airport Authority applied for $15 million in grants from the state's Redevelopment Association Capital Program for a project called the Pittsburgh International Airport World Trade Center Site.
Near the airport's entrance, the 195-acre site sits in a region federally designated for international trade.
Rep. Mark Mustio, R-Moon, who represents the area and will attend the announcement, said the development will benefit the airport as an economic generator.
Past proposals for the site have included 1 million square feet of business space and an estimated 3,000 jobs.
“It certainly plays into the overall master plan for the airport,” Mustio said. “And it helps the local municipalities.”
The airport is in Findlay at the county line, bordered by Moon and North Fayette.
The proximity to the airport and potential to build hangar space could lure international companies, Mustio said.
Last year, Allegheny County leased land at the airport to Consol Energy in a natural gas drilling deal expected to generate more than $500 million in royalties.
The announcement is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the airport.
Melissa Daniels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County
- Pittsburgh photo exhibit shines light on ‘Good’ work
- Pittsburgh VA director gets more time to appeal firing recommendation
- Prosecutor in Ferrante cyanide trial attacked; partner charged with assault