Braddock man jailed in underage online sex case
By Tim Karan
Published: Wednesday, May 9, 2012, 8:50 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2012
A 34 year-old Braddock man is accused of posing as a 19 year-old and driving to Boggs to meet two 14-year-old girls he met online for sex.
Joshua B. Patterson, 34, went by the name Joshua Phillips when he first made contact with the girls two months ago on the social networking site myYearbook.com, authorities said. The Leader Times does not reveal the names of minors who are victims of a crime.
Patterson is alleged to have been video chatting with the victims on Skype before making plans to meet them at a location along Ridge Road on May 4.
According to a state police report, the girls became extremely nervous when they realized Patterson appeared much older than 19. He then reportedly put his arms around one of the girls and rubbed his chin against her neck. When she attempted to break free, Patterson continued holding her until the other girl managed to pull her away. The girls said they began to walk away from Patterson when he grabbed one by her hoodie and pulled her back toward him. The girls then became combative and yelled at him, at which point, Patterson got back in his car and drove away.
After an investigation, Patterson was contacted by state police in Kittanning and agreed to be interviewed on May 7. He confessed to the incident and also to meeting several other girls younger than 18 through myYearbook, police said.
Police served a search warrant and seized Patterson's cell phone, laptop, desktop computer and other electronic devices. He was placed in Armstrong County Jail in lieu of $75,000 bond.
- Armstrong, StrongLand, Allegheny Valley chambers of commerce merging
- Suspect cites heroin addiction in Perry Township gun thefts
- Kittanning man jailed again for contact with girl, 15
- Memories haunt razed fire hall in Kittanning
- Convicted sex offender can’t return to California for now
- Summer fun ready to go in Armstrong County
- Police arrest 3 for allegedly selling heroin
- Armstrong School District, union agree on new contract
- Scam targets Rite Aid shoppers
- Bickering adds 3 hours to Ford City meeting
- Kittanning man released after bail reduction in beating death
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.