Ford City woman who caught herself on fire at gas station waives hearing
By Brigid Beatty
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 2:16 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
KITTANNING — The Ford City woman charged with risking a catastrophe after setting herself on fire at the Shop 'n Save gas pumps in East Franklin in July waived her right to a preliminary hearing on Wednesday.
Christine Mecca, 51, limped into the courtroom of District Judge James Owen using a cane and leaning on the arm of her husband. Her right ankle and hand were heavily bandaged.
Mecca remained seated as the judge explained the conditions of her bail, which stipulated that she be released on her own recognizance. Her husband comforted her as she began to weep.
In addition to the felony charge, Mecca also faces a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment.
The charges were filed following an investigation into Mecca's actions on July 9.
The incident was caught on a security camera and, according to East Franklin police Sgt. William Evans, the footage showed Mecca spilling gas on the lower half of her body and starting the fire.
He said the fire was limited to Mecca's clothes and that three men rushed and tackled her as she screamed and flailed near a truck delivering fuel to the station.
Brigid Beatty is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stark divide for coroner
- Community day to help Freeport boy fighting cancer
- Budget issues top borough candidates’ concerns
- Plenty to choose from in Kittanning mayor’s race
- Stolen rig found submerged in Keystone lake in Armstrong County
- Ford City woman overcomes serious injuries to earn college degree
- Armstrong to seek housing funds for ADA improvements
- Worthington, West Franklin to vote on tax increase for library
- Ford City water plant plans cause heated discussion
- Bataan Death March survivor recalls ‘hell’
- ASD budget, buildings top candidates’ list
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.