Dayton man charged in sex case
A Dayton man was charged on Tuesday with allegedly having a sexual relationship with an underage girl.
Michael P. Shaffer, 33, is accused of engaging in sexual intercourse with the girl multiple times in 2010 when he was 30 and she was 15, according to the police criminal complaint.
The Leader Times does not identify juveniles who are the victim of a crime.
The report says that Shaffer met the girl in March 2010 when he was living in Rural Valley and the girl's mother began dating his neighbor.
Shaffer and the girl allegedly began a romantic relationship and had sex at both his house and a house in Cowanshannock where the girl's family moved that fall.
In October 2010, Shaffer and the girl reportedly moved into a Kittanning Township house together and stayed there for several weeks.
Between late November and early December, the girl moved into Shaffer's Rural Valley house with him and the pair allegedly engaged in consensual sex there on multiple occasions.
Around that time, state police contacted Shaffer and he admitted to sleeping in the same bed with the girl but denied any sexual relationship.
This past November, the girl's mother told police that Shaffer had spent the night in her daughter's bedroom at her house multiple times before she moved out.
Another person who lived in the Cowanshannock home at the time told police the girl admitted she was having sex with Shaffer.
The victim also said Shaffer gave her love letters and a card expressing his romantic feelings toward her around Christmas of that year.
Police again interviewed Shaffer last week, and although he admitted to living with the girl, he continued to maintain they never had a sexual relationship.
Shaffer was placed in Armstrong County Jail on Tuesday by District Judge Samuel Goldstrohm on charges of statutory sexual assault and corruption of minors along with two counts each of indecent assault on a minor and endangering the welfare of children. He was later released on bond.
Tim Karan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City joining growing fight against blight
- Grants boost tunnel, trail work in Clarion and Armstrong counties
- VA seeks input on services at Ford City clinic
- Valley Township couple goes all out for Halloween
- Ford City man arrested for making video of parking dispute
- Progressive Workshop open houses Thursday in Kittanning, Rayburn
- Ford City official: Rift at heart of records request
- Ford City native jazzing it up at big name festival in Florida
- Drivers concerned with changes at Kittanning intersection
- Armstrong commissioners leery about Wolf’s severence tax proposal
- ‘Elvis’ alive and well in Cowanshannock