Rayburn boy burned playing with lighter
RAYBURN — A 5-year-old boy, who had been playing with a lighter late Wednesday night, was flown to a Pittsburgh area hospital shortly after midnight on Thursday suffering from burns to his upper torso.
State police in East Franklin are investigating and have not identified the victim or the victim's family until more is known. The family lives at Rayburn Manor Apartments along Route 85, just east of the county's Armsdale property.
The incident happened between 11:40 p.m. Wednesday night and 12 a.m. Thursday, police said.
According to police, the child and another boy, age 10, had been lighting paper and other items when the victim's T-shirt caught on fire. Water was thrown on the child's shirt to douse the flames.
Kittanning ambulance responded to the scene and the boy was taken by helicopter to UPMC Mercy Hospital burn unit. Police said the boy was in stable condition.
Brigid Beatty is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Health Center could reopen after court ruling
- Police probe Kittanning Cemetery scam
- Kittanning Light Up Night a celebration of holiday spirit, bittersweet endings
- Men’s club donates $1K to foundation for sick children
- Armstrong students put Thanksgiving feasts on the table
- Program energizes students at Manor elementary school
- TOWN SHINES ON LIGHT UP NIGHT
- Football game DVD raising money for Armstrong school program
- Armstrong Leo Clubs accept toy drive challenge
- Light-Up Night sparkles with special meaning in Ford City
- ‘Thanksgiving miracle’ brings turkeys to Armstrong needy