Kittanning 5-year-old burned by lighter recovering
A 5-year-old boy is recovering from surgery in a Pittsburgh area hospital because his clothing caught fire while he played with a cigarette lighter late Wednesday night.
The boy, Anthony Skursky, son of Jim A. Skursky Jr. and Nicole M. Goldinger of Kittanning had burns covering 18 percent of his body, said his aunt, Thomasina Goldinger.
“He's going to be OK,” Goldinger said. “He's a strong little boy; he'll pull through it.”
Anthony is being kept fairly secluded in UPMC Mercy hospital to minimize his risk of infection, she said.
She said Anthony had been spending the night at Rayburn Manor Apartments on Route 85, the apartment of his father's girlfriend.
Anthony and the woman's 10-year-old son had been playing with the lighter when Anthony's T-shirt caught on fire.
According to Goldinger, the woman admitted to Anthony's family that she had been sleeping on the couch when the accident happened.
“She was asleep on the couch while he stood in her living room burning,” she said, adding that Skursky's girlfriend “refuses to own up to what she did.”
Goldinger said the family is trying to sort out what happened that night.
She said they do know, however, that the flames were eventually doused by a neighbor, Bruce Brison.
“I'd really like to thank him,” Goldinger said.
Meanwhile, Skursky, 36, has been arrested by Pittsburgh police when he allegedly tried to steal video game equipment from a family waiting room in UPMC Mercy while visiting his son on Thursday.
Pittsburgh police said they were called when hospital staff saw the video game controller in Skursky's pocket.
He is charged with theft and receiving stolen property and was placed in the Allegheny County Jail. Bail was set at $10,000.
Brigid Beatty is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Crash leaves Burrell Township family without father, friend
- Teachers at 2 Armstrong schools go casual for a cause
- Kittanning, Kiski police getting trained to help abuse victims
- Armstrong County Jail commitments since Dec. 13
- House fire quickly snuffed in Ford City
- Family escapes house fire in Kittanning