Kittanning man jailed again for contact with girl, 15
A 41-year-old Kittanning man is again behind bars in the Armstrong County Jail after racking up additional sex charges while out on bail. His victim is reported by authorities to be the same 15-year-old Armstrong County girl he had allegedly concealed from authorities in April.
Gregory Alan Shaffer, of 415 Robinson St., was arrested on Thursday and arraigned before District Judge James Andring on charges of solicitation for statutory sexual assault, solicitation for involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of minors, criminal use of a communication facility and obscene and other sexual materials and performances — all felonies. Bail was set at $75,000.
Shaffer's prior arrest on April 24 arose from allegations that he had taken the girl to an apartment in Shelocta, Indiana County, and lied to authorities on two occasions when asked about her whereabouts. He was charged in that incident with concealing the whereabouts of a child, interference with custody of children and corruption of minors.
At that time, bail was set at $20,000, which Shaffer posted a few days later.
The Leader Times does not reveal the names of juveniles who are involved with crimes.
According to the criminal complaint, Shaffer re-established contact with the girl through Facebook, messaging her while she was in foster care. More than 700 messages were allegedly sent and received between Shaffer and the girl from May 10 through May 21, according to the complaint. Several of those messages discussed plans for marriage with a wedding date set for October 2015, the document says.
The girl's foster mother contacted state police after she discovered sexually explicit messages between Shaffer and the girl, according to the complaint. The 15-year-old used a Nintendo DS game system with access to the Internet to message Shaffer, the complaint alleges.
During an earlier investigation leading up to Shaffer's arrest in April, Shaffer admitted to authorities that he knew the girl was 15 and said he had already known her for a few months, the complaint said.
A preliminary hearing has been set for June 19.
Brigid Beatty is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Friend reaches out to help Burrell Township family
- Ford City family needs $10K for dog that detects seizures
- Burrell Township man killed in backhoe accident
- Snyder makes offer for mineral rights under polluted Ford City land
- Arts on Allegheny seeks donors
- Ford City waiting on road salt as storm blows in
- AmeriCorps coming to Lenape Technical in Manor
- Man robs Kittanning convenience store early Tuesday
- Workers eager to get started on Kittanning trail project
- Klingensmith’s Drug Stores offers monthly supply of vitamins to families who enroll children
- Wintry mix makes for slick roads in Armstrong County