Survey welcomes input on mascot
Armstrong School District officials are turning to the public for help naming the new high school and choosing a mascot. A survey to be posted on the district website will allow residents and graduates of ASD to offer up their own ideas for the school slated to open in Manor Township during the summer of 2015.
A committee made up of the district's high school principals, select students and community members already presented the board of directors with official school colors as requested by the architects to integrate into building plans. The directors approved the suggested color scheme of blue and orange.
“We found out the main thing to get the building project going was the color scheme,” said Kittanning Senior High School principal James Rummel. “So we have more time to gather more information.”
As for the school name, the committee previously recommended “Armstrong Junior-Senior High School,” but apparently not all in the community supported it. Ford City High School principal Michael Cominos said the online survey will now provide everyone with a voice.
“After we finished up with the student round (of voting), we had some people from the public that had some pretty good ideas,” said Cominos. “We wanted to make sure we gave those some credence as well.”
In addition to offering up a school name and mascot, Cominos said survey participants will also be asked to explain why they made their suggestions. The survey will be available throughout July with the committee's goal of presenting the most popular responses to the board in August.
“At that time, we'll make a determination of whether we'll bring it back (to) the committee or go to a student vote,” said Rummel. “Ideally, it'd be nice to have a mascot named by September or October.”
ASD's website is asd.k12.pa.us.
Tim Karan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lenape Tech opening center for adult training Thursday in Manor
- Grants boost tunnel, trail work in Clarion and Armstrong counties
- Hearing addresses questions about proposed West Franklin limestone mine
- Progressive Workshop open houses Thursday in Kittanning, Rayburn
- Kittanning paving projects starting; completion expected within a week
- Program helping Armstrong jail inmates earn GED diplomas
- Kittanning church to celebrate 190th anniversary
- Teen charged with threatening stepfather at Boggs home
- Ford City native jazzing it up at big name festival in Florida
- Tours of Armstrong’s school construction site offered next month
- ‘Elvis’ alive and well in Cowanshannock