Report: Half of Armstrong County considered forestland
By Brad Pedersen
Published: Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013, 12:36 a.m.
More than half of Armstrong County is considered forestland, according to a report from the Penn State Extension's School of Forestry.
In Armstrong County, 253,509 acres, which is 60 percent of all land, is considered forestland. Only 5 percent of the forestland in Armstrong County is considered public, while the remaining 95 percent is owned by approximately 10,513 different landowners.
Forestland supports 12 forestry and wood product establishments, which employ 386 people, according to the report.
The report indicates forestry contributes $18.69 million to Armstrong County's economy, annually, while agriculture contributes $25.66 million, annually.
The Penn State Extension estimates Armstrong County's standing timber is valued at $214.6 million and could potentially create 1.07 billion board feet of finished wood, according to the report.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- ‘Women Build’ tackles 2 Armstrong Habitat projects
- Kittanning suspect waives prelim on drug charges
- Auditor takes West Franklin to court
- Vandals strike Kittanning doctor’s memorial in picnic area
- Apollo Earth Day Dash to benefit trail expansion
- Parker names city’s Citizen of theYear
- Armstrong board considers selling delinquent tax claims
- Cowanshannock American Legion loses building but keeps marching on
- West Kittanning getting bids for mowers of overgrown lawns
- Boggs man avoids ‘too good to be true’ scam
- Armstrong County School Board postpones selling delinquent real estate tax claims