Ford City to honor volunteer with pavilion dedication
Ford City officials plan to honor a longtime volunteer at 2 p.m. Sunday by naming a pavilion at Boulder Park in his honor.
Borough Council plans to name the park's newest pavilion the Larry Gray Memorial Pavilion after the late resident, according to councilman Jerry Miklos.
Gray, 70, came to the borough as a crew chief with the Pennsylvania Conservation Corps but volunteered to help the borough on several projects throughout Ford City, Miklos said.
Gray, a retired Air Force master sergeant and Vietnam veteran from Sagamore, died in July.
“The list of things he did for this borough are almost too numerous to mention, but he did everything and anything he was asked, and more,” Miklos said. “He was a tremendous asset to this borough and bent over backwards to assist us for a long time.”
Miklos said Gray's list of projects in Ford City ranged from building several small buildings, bathrooms and pavilions in the borough's parks to helping with plumbing and wiring projects and installing cabinetry in the borough building.
The pavilion in Boulder Park was one of Gray's last projects in Ford City before he died, Miklos said.
“Larry would even step in to help mow grass or work as a flagman if we were short-handed,” Miklos said. “If we had a few guys like Larry Gray, this borough would be a much better place.”
Boulder Park is off Sixth Avenue, in Ford City. The dedication is open to the public.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Armstrong gets 4th officer trained to spot drugged drivers
- Family safe but dog dies in Sugarcreek trailer fire
- Groups looking to stage Day of Prayer at new school in Manor
- Armstrong’s roads less-traveled get funding for drainage improvements
- Lost dog found; boxer now missing in Manor
- Golf outing bolsters cancer patient fund at Kittanning hospital
- Trout Unlimited bolsters state stocking effort in Cowanshannock Creek
- Kittanning project extended to include courthouse sidewalks
- Ford City fundraiser benefits two groups
- Aluminum rails stolen from Mosgrove river lock
- Manor bank robbery suspect caught in Indiana