No one injured in clothes dryer explosion
FORD CITY – No one was injured after an explosion at a local dry cleaning business Thursday morning along Fifth Avenue and 11th Street.
Ford City Fire Chief Scott Gaiser said the source of the explosion, which occurred at about 9:38 a.m. at Spic ‘n Span, appeared to have originated with one of the dryers in the back area of the building.
“I felt the explosion at my house a half a block away,” Gaiser said.
The business is owned by William Toy and employs 15 people, said Toy's nephew Keith Bell.
Employees were able to safely evacuate the building and keep warm at a nearby residence while area volunteer fire departments and police responded to the scene.
Gaiser said the fire from the explosion was quickly extinguished but there were concerns about the chemicals used at the facility draining from the building.
Firefighters blocked area drains to prevent the diluted chemicals from getting into the sewage system until Randy Brozenick, the county's public safety and emergency department director arrived on scene.
“Everything's safe,” Brozenick said, noting that the chemicals in question were cleaning detergents and solvents and amounted to a small spill which was safely diluted and discharged.
The building is salvageable and dry cleaning goods in the store front appeared to be undamaged, said Gaiser.
Brigid Beatty is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-543-1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Bradys Bend veteran creates Memorial Day tribute to fallen warriors
- Leader Times staffers recognized for journalism excellence by Press Club
- Kittanning Municipal Authority seeks agreement to clarify its role
- Lenape students earn berth in national SkillsUSA competition
- Police boost efforts to aid child victims in Armstrong County
- Police investigating attack on boy near Kittanning Rails to Trails
- Rural Valley students wage ‘war’ to raise money for autism research
- Armstrong School District officials OK tax hike in preliminary budget
- Ford City Council calls in help to deal with $580K grant default
- Project a modern approach to commemorating Ford City’s past
- Kittanning business celebrates renovations in its 43rd year