TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Fire ravages NuMine Sportsmen's Club

Louis B. Ruediger | Leader Times - Firefighters wait for water, as a blaze continues to grow at the NuMine Sportsman's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock. Monday December 16, 2013
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Louis B. Ruediger | Leader Times</em></div>Firefighters wait for water, as a blaze continues to grow at the NuMine Sportsman's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock. Monday December 16, 2013
Louis B. Ruediger | Leader Times - Firefighters attempt to contain a fire in the front section of the NuMine Sportsman's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock. Monday December 16, 2013
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Louis B. Ruediger | Leader Times</em></div>Firefighters attempt to contain a fire in the front section of the NuMine Sportsman's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock. Monday December 16, 2013

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.
Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

Fire destroyed the NuMine Sportsmen's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock on Monday afternoon.

Rural Valley Fire Chief Kevin Nelson said crews responded to the club at about 1:30 p.m. and found smoke pouring out of its roof and windows.

The fire spread quickly, gutting the mostly block building, he said.

“It's a total loss,” Nelson said.

Along with Rural Valley, crews from Plumville, Rayburn, Elderton and Dayton fire departments responded to the fire, Nelson said.

Hilty Road, which is mostly dirt, was icy, making it difficult for several of the fire trucks to get in and out of the fire scene. A truck from Rural Valley got stuck along the side of the road and was only able to get out with assistance from the Cowanshannock Public Works department.

Club manager Pete Semanovich said he was unsure where the fire began, but several of his employees complained about flickering lights in the club's barroom.

“We were having some difficulty with the dimmer switches running the lighting,” Semanovich said. “At this point, we're going to let the fire marshal figure it out and tell us exactly where it started.”

The club, which boasts 130 members, had been busy because of deer season, making it difficult for Semanovich to check the lights, he said.

“We just have to report what was there (to insurance), and I'll work with our treasurer,” Semanovich said. “We'll build another one.”

Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or bpedersen@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Armstrong

  1. Leader Times staffers recognized for journalism excellence by Press Club
  2. Police boost efforts to aid child victims in Armstrong County
  3. Lenape students earn berth in national SkillsUSA competition
  4. Kittanning Municipal Authority seeks agreement to clarify its role
  5. Bradys Bend veteran creates Memorial Day tribute to fallen warriors
  6. Ford City planting seeds for first farmers market
  7. Ford City seeks road salt bids early to avoid problems of last year
  8. Fifth generation last in line for 150-year-old farm in Wayne
  9. Foxburg festival on tap this weekend
  10. Kittanning business celebrates renovations in its 43rd year
  11. Obscene graffiti triggers crime watch interest in Kittanning