Fire ravages NuMine Sportsmen's Club
Fire destroyed the NuMine Sportsmen's Club on Hilty Road in Cowanshannock on Monday afternoon.
Rural Valley Fire Chief Kevin Nelson said crews responded to the club at about 1:30 p.m. and found smoke pouring out of its roof and windows.
The fire spread quickly, gutting the mostly block building, he said.
“It's a total loss,” Nelson said.
Along with Rural Valley, crews from Plumville, Rayburn, Elderton and Dayton fire departments responded to the fire, Nelson said.
Hilty Road, which is mostly dirt, was icy, making it difficult for several of the fire trucks to get in and out of the fire scene. A truck from Rural Valley got stuck along the side of the road and was only able to get out with assistance from the Cowanshannock Public Works department.
Club manager Pete Semanovich said he was unsure where the fire began, but several of his employees complained about flickering lights in the club's barroom.
“We were having some difficulty with the dimmer switches running the lighting,” Semanovich said. “At this point, we're going to let the fire marshal figure it out and tell us exactly where it started.”
The club, which boasts 130 members, had been busy because of deer season, making it difficult for Semanovich to check the lights, he said.
“We just have to report what was there (to insurance), and I'll work with our treasurer,” Semanovich said. “We'll build another one.”
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or firstname.lastname@example.org.