Armstrong School District to keep SAT prep courses
The Armstrong School District plans to continue offering its annual SAT prep course at all three of its high schools.
The school board approved a plan, 7-0, to offer the course for a third year to students at Kittanning, Ford City and West Shamokin high schools. School board Vice President Larry Robb and director Paul Lobby were absent.
The Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, is a standardized test administered by the College Board, used for college admission.
During the last three years, the six-session course helped improve scores on the SAT at each of the schools, according to Shauna Braun-Zukowski, the district's coordinator of curriculum, instruction, assessment and accountability.
Although she didn't have exact numbers, Braun-Zukowski said scores improved in reading and writing at Kittanning High School, increased in math and reading scores at Ford City High School, and scores remained consistent at West Shamokin High School.
“It's impacted our scores in a positive manner,” she said.
The course is offered to students online and in person, and last year, 40 students participated, Braun-Zukowski added.
According to the district website, the course is based on the Official SAT Guide and includes updates on math content, test-taking strategies and information on how to reduce test-taking anxiety.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City officials discuss code enforcement
- Armstrong spared worst of nor’easter’s wrath
- Paving funds could go to housing repairs
- Kiski man’s death sparks calls for safety when ice fishing
- Paranormal investigators coming to Ford City library
- Plan hatched to make storefront hub of Armstrong event, services news
- Armstrong beekeepers banding together in Kittanning
- Numine man escapes tragedy when car slides down bank into river
- School building’s fate at center of Ford City worries
- Ford City Council overrides veto, police cuts stay
- Numine man survives crash into icy river