Armstrong School District to keep SAT prep courses
The Armstrong School District plans to continue offering its annual SAT prep course at all three of its high schools.
The school board approved a plan, 7-0, to offer the course for a third year to students at Kittanning, Ford City and West Shamokin high schools. School board Vice President Larry Robb and director Paul Lobby were absent.
The Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, is a standardized test administered by the College Board, used for college admission.
During the last three years, the six-session course helped improve scores on the SAT at each of the schools, according to Shauna Braun-Zukowski, the district's coordinator of curriculum, instruction, assessment and accountability.
Although she didn't have exact numbers, Braun-Zukowski said scores improved in reading and writing at Kittanning High School, increased in math and reading scores at Ford City High School, and scores remained consistent at West Shamokin High School.
“It's impacted our scores in a positive manner,” she said.
The course is offered to students online and in person, and last year, 40 students participated, Braun-Zukowski added.
According to the district website, the course is based on the Official SAT Guide and includes updates on math content, test-taking strategies and information on how to reduce test-taking anxiety.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Progressive Workshop open houses Thursday in Kittanning, Rayburn
- Valley Township couple goes all out for Halloween
- Ford City man arrested for making video of parking dispute
- Ford City native jazzing it up at big name festival in Florida
- Volunteers answer call to duty at veteran’s center in Cowansville
- Armstrong commissioners leery about Wolf’s severence tax proposal
- Ford City official: Rift at heart of records request
- Armstrong School Board benches plans for a $10M athletic complex
- ‘Elvis’ alive and well in Cowanshannock
- Drivers concerned with changes at Kittanning intersection
- Teen charged with threatening stepfather at Boggs home