Armstrong sheriff imposter running phone scam
A scam artist pretending to be Armstrong County Sheriff Bill Rupert is calling people and suggesting they need to pay up or they will be arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Rupert said the perpetrator uses software that makes the sheriff's office phone number appear on the caller identification feature of the recipient's phone.
“It makes caller ID read with our number, even though we're not making the call,” Rupert said. “We're proactive in chasing our warrants, but we don't do it this way.”
Rupert said if you receive such a call, you should immediately contact the sheriff's department number on the phone, 724-548-3265.
Officials realized the scam was going on when the county district attorney's office received several calls from victims.
“I don't know who is doing this, or if they're even local, but we need to know that it's happening,” Rupert said.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No one hurt when Indiana school bus hits pole in Shelocta
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- River tour offers views of Armstrong foliage
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Kittanning razes condemned homes it bought at tax sale
- Manor appliance store owners retire after 45 years in family’s business
- Erie woman charged second time in a week in Armstrong
- Workers shaken by news Kittanning Foodland will close
- Students, ALS win when Shannock Valley principal takes Ice Bucket Challenge
- Armstrong School District works out contract with cafeteria workers