Armstrong sheriff imposter running phone scam
A scam artist pretending to be Armstrong County Sheriff Bill Rupert is calling people and suggesting they need to pay up or they will be arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Rupert said the perpetrator uses software that makes the sheriff's office phone number appear on the caller identification feature of the recipient's phone.
“It makes caller ID read with our number, even though we're not making the call,” Rupert said. “We're proactive in chasing our warrants, but we don't do it this way.”
Rupert said if you receive such a call, you should immediately contact the sheriff's department number on the phone, 724-548-3265.
Officials realized the scam was going on when the county district attorney's office received several calls from victims.
“I don't know who is doing this, or if they're even local, but we need to know that it's happening,” Rupert said.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Natural soaps, spinning demo among attractions at Fort Armstrong Folk Festival
- Police: Escaped Armstrong County inmate armed, dangerous homicide suspect
- Kittanning 5K raising money for Habitat for Humanity
- Kittanning road work a dusty backdrop to sidewalk sales, festival
- Armstrong reaches out for opinions about how to use closed schools
- Worker injured when excavator backs over him in Kittanning