Armstrong sheriff imposter running phone scam
A scam artist pretending to be Armstrong County Sheriff Bill Rupert is calling people and suggesting they need to pay up or they will be arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Rupert said the perpetrator uses software that makes the sheriff's office phone number appear on the caller identification feature of the recipient's phone.
“It makes caller ID read with our number, even though we're not making the call,” Rupert said. “We're proactive in chasing our warrants, but we don't do it this way.”
Rupert said if you receive such a call, you should immediately contact the sheriff's department number on the phone, 724-548-3265.
Officials realized the scam was going on when the county district attorney's office received several calls from victims.
“I don't know who is doing this, or if they're even local, but we need to know that it's happening,” Rupert said.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Program helping Armstrong jail inmates earn GED diplomas
- East Franklin artist featured at Crooked Creek’s monthly speaker program
- Conflicting stories leave police seeking answers in Ford City shooting
- Church to help longtime Dayton businessman get bikes out of the brush
- 6 high school bands marching in West Shamokin at annual show
- Fall colors, Allegheny River the stars of Armstrong Tourist Bureau cruise
- Proposals submitted for use of Armstrong’s federal grant money
- Apple butter festival keeps tradition alive
- Mobile barbecue vendor opening storefront in West Kittanning
- Narcotic delivery to Armstrong jail foiled; two charged
- Couple ends long, fruitful work on Ford City library board