Armstrong sheriff imposter running phone scam
A scam artist pretending to be Armstrong County Sheriff Bill Rupert is calling people and suggesting they need to pay up or they will be arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Rupert said the perpetrator uses software that makes the sheriff's office phone number appear on the caller identification feature of the recipient's phone.
“It makes caller ID read with our number, even though we're not making the call,” Rupert said. “We're proactive in chasing our warrants, but we don't do it this way.”
Rupert said if you receive such a call, you should immediately contact the sheriff's department number on the phone, 724-548-3265.
Officials realized the scam was going on when the county district attorney's office received several calls from victims.
“I don't know who is doing this, or if they're even local, but we need to know that it's happening,” Rupert said.
Brad Pedersen is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303, ext. 1337, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Buffalo man charged with distributing child porn
- Letters show Ford City had chance at cutting debt by more than $450K
- Ford City woman injured in crash
- Armstrong schools put television programming online
- Few changes on Armstrong primary ballot after withdrawal deadline
- Incumbent steps aside, mayor enters council race in Ford City
- Bond reduction denied for boy accused of fatally shooting Leechburg man
- Madison woman seeks help finding fugitive goat, sheep
- Armstrong jail makes GED diploma an attainable goal for inmates
- Templeton woman acted fast to save dog from plunge into icy pond
- Ford City residents frustrated with borough’s mounting problems