Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
Two survivors of a Wednesday night car crash that killed five people in Armstrong County remained in critical condition Friday in UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Robert Edward Kelley Jr., 33, of Avonmore and Kristy Ann Schall, 35, of Shelocta were passengers in a Chevy Lumina driven by Kelley's wife when it crashed head-on into a Ford Mustang on Route 156 near Gobblers Run Road in South Bend Township.
Killed in the crash were Kelley's wife, Crystal Kay, 41, of Avonmore and three teenagers in the Mustang: Brandon James Sulava, 19, of Apollo; Brandon Sauers Barr, 15, of Apollo; and Brieyonah Marie Painter, 18, of Rural Valley.
Another passenger in Kelley's car, her brother, Kent Smith, 34, of Elderton, died Thursday night in UPMC Presbyterian.
State police Trooper Dan Kesten said the Mustang, driven by Sulava, swerved in front of Kelley's car at a high rate of speed when it was hit.
“There was nothing she could do,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Manor appliance store owners retire after 45 years in family’s business
- Apollo couple giving back with fundraiser for Armstrong cancer center
- Online student monitoring made easier in Armstrong
- River tour offers views of Armstrong foliage
- Kittanning man withdraws plea after judge rejects sentence recommendation
- Armstrong School District works out contract with cafeteria workers
- ‘Victory’ for ARDC; Armstrong locks to open in 2015