Butler Area district board to vote on roofing bids
The Butler Area School District is taking bids for roofing repairs at three of its schools.
The district started taking bids last week, and the school board is expected to vote at its Monday meeting to accept one of the bids, said Catherine M. Rodgers, the district's business manager.
The estimated cost of the repairs is $955,920, Rodgers said.
The project will be overseen by Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., a Northbrook, Ill.-based architectural and engineering firm, that performed an analysis of roofs for the school district.
Oakland and Summit elementary schools will have sections of new roof installed. The music section of Butler Area High School also will get a new roof.
“Just like any roof, these are seeing the end of their time,” said Glen Terwilliger, the district's maintenance director.
Work on the three roofs will start around June 10. The school year ends on June 6. The work is scheduled for completion before the start of the 2013-14 school year on Aug. 28, he said.
The three buildings were built in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Terwilliger said that none of the buildings has had roof work done for “at least 30 years.”
Butler Area School District covers the city of Butler, the boroughs of Connoquenessing and East Butler along with Butler Township, Center Township, Clearfield Township, Connoquenessing Township, Oakland Township and Summit Township.
The district has 11 elementary schools, one junior high school, one intermediate high school and a senior high school.
Rick Wills is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harmony man facing charges in fatal crash
- CV Elementary teachers think about math process
- Butler County task force aims to raise awareness about suicide
- Zelienople park board discusses idea of replacing pool
- Renewed awareness of ALS gives hope to those with disease in Butler County and beyond
- Butler motorists can pay for parking with new app
- New police chief position could be in works for Cranberry
- XTO to rework application to drill near Moraine State Park
- Skateboarding popularity ramps up concerns in Zelienople
- United Way of Butler County, school districts to prepare students for changing job market
- Government offices, some businesses closed for Labor Day in Butler