Retired Guard colonel under investigation for padding his military pay resigns from county job
An Air National Guard colonel resigned from an Allegheny County job on Thursday because of a federal investigation into claims that he padded his military pay while working for the 171st Air Refueling Wing in Findlay.
Col. Gerard Mangis, 60, of Shaler said he resigned at the request of his county supervisors but he enjoyed working for the Facilities Management Department.
“The county was wonderful,” he said.
Mangis has not been indicted.
Linda Card, spokeswoman for the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, confirmed an ongoing fraud investigation but referred questions to the U.S. Attorney's Office, which declined comment.
Mangis said that during the three years he has been under investigation, a government investigator has yet to interview him.
About the investigation, he said: “You want to say stuff but you can't, you really can't. But your family suffers, and you sit here in the abyss of hell.”
His attorney, Charles Porter, couldn't be reached for comment. Mangis was a vice wing commander for the 171st and resigned as Missions Support Group Commander in September 2011, according to a spokeswoman for the unit. He remains in the Guard but is not an active member and is not being paid, said Maj. Karen Bogdan.
She referred other questions to Card.
“All I know is that he was under investigation, and it was a joint investigation with the (Justice Department),” Card said.
Brian Bowling is a Trib Total Media staff writer. Reach him at 412-325-4301 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Butler commissioner candidates discuss strengthening economy
- Butler Township manager concerned about VA clinic traffic
- Four campaigning for Butler County register of wills post
- FBI agent urges Seneca Valley parents to keep up with technology
- Seneca Valley dance marathon raises $19,000 for charity
- VA Butler Healthcare lauds two outstanding volunteers
- Grant to fund Butler hotel in Centre City Project
- Butler man to stand trial on molestation charges at day care