Democrat drops out of race for Kelly's congressional seat
A second Democratic candidate has ended his campaign for the 3rd Congressional District seat held by U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Butler.
Matt Ryan, 31, of Cranberry, sent an email to Georgiann Kerr, chair of the Butler County Democratic Committee, late Thursday saying that he was withdrawing “due to a substantial increase in military obligations in the last 24-48 hours.” Ryan is a member of the Army National Guard.
Rob Joswiak, 31, of Concord, cited family issues in his Feb. 19 withdrawal from the race.
Dan LaVallee, 26, of Cranberry, a former deputy director at American Health Insurance Plan in Washington D.C., is still seeking the nomination in the May 20 primary election.
The 3rd District covers all of or portions of Butler, Lawrence, Mercer, Erie, Clarion, Crawford and Armstrong counties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VA Butler group offers support for military victims of sex assaults
- Butler County new home sales surge in 2014
- Despite proposed closings, Butler Area school costs could grow
- Failed oil venture ties John Wilkes Booth to Butler County
- Butler commissioner candidates’ stances on senior centers vary
- Butler Township eyes business growth spurt
- Fired Butler official O’Malley claims political, age discrimination
- Hines Ward to open Table 86 restaurant in Seven Fields
- New Mars superintendent kept tabs on district’s successes
- ‘ChildFirst’ helps victims, Butler police
- Fired Butler official will make case to get job back