Cranberry officials, police agree to contract
Cranberry supervisors on Tuesday ratified a three-year contract with township police, avoiding arbitration.
“It's all about communicating with each other,” Manager Jerry Andree said.
The contract covers 28 uniformed officers, who will receive pay raises of 2.75 percent in the first year, and 2.5 percent in the second and third years.
Other changes include a deferred retirement option program, increased flexibility in scheduling and increasing the amount officers pay toward their health care premiums from 7 percent to 8 percent.
In a statement, Supervisor John Skorupan said that “Cranberry's police department is the most professional local law enforcement agency in Butler County and among the finest in all of Southwestern Pennsylvania.”
Andree said the township losing its contract to provide police service in Seven Fields did not affect contract negotiations.
Seven Fields and Evans City have formed a regional police force that will begin operating in 2015.
Seven Fields had been paying Cranberry to patrol the community.
The township stands to lose about $370,000 next year because of the regional force.
Andree said the township, with advance warning that Seven Fields wanted to end the contract, has been watching its spending.
It last hired a police officer in December 2012.
The police department had been without a contract since the beginning of the year.
Bill Vidonic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5621 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Butler County task force aims to raise awareness about suicide
- CV Elementary teachers think about math process
- Renewed awareness of ALS gives hope to those with disease in Butler County and beyond
- Butler motorists can pay for parking with new app
- United Way of Butler County, school districts to prepare students for changing job market
- Jackson police cite escalating violence in murder-suicide case
- Butler City Council bans exotic pets from events