Pa. council members targeted over Toby Keith spoof
MOUNT JEWETT -- A borough councilman from northwestern Pennsylvania says he meant no harm when he spoofed of country music star Toby Keith's hit song "Red Solo Cup" at a recent community festival.
The Bradford Era reports Monday that Mount Jewett resident Jim Troutman wants Councilman Brett Morgan to resign. Troutman claims Morgan changed the lyrics to the song during the town's annual Swedish Festival last month to make an allegedly insulting reference to Troutman's trash-hauling business.
Morgan tells the AP he did change the song's lyrics to include the words "Red Roll-Off Truck," which Troutman says referred to one of his garbage trucks.
Morgan says he's sent an apology to Troutman but denied purposely insulting Troutman. Morgan says Troutman wasn't at the festival but was told about the song.
The song celebrates disposable cups commonly used at drinking parties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Steelers notebook: New kicker Scobee relishes opportunity
- NFL notebook: Jaguars TE Thomas to have surgery, miss 3 games
- Youngstown State seeks repeat performance against Pitt
- ‘Cadillac tax’ hangs over insurance costs
- 2-year-old boy shot, killed in North Side
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Bomb squad investigating suspicious package at Murrysville Post Office