TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Florida

Associated Press | Courtesy John-Patrick McNown
In this frame grab made from video on Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, Edward Archbold celebrates winning a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla. Archbold, 32, died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday, Oct. 8. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By The Associated Press
Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012, 6:48 a.m.
 

MIAMI — A contestant in a roach-eating contest who downed dozens of live bugs and worms collapsed and died shortly after winning the contest in South Florida, authorities say.

About 30 contestants ingested the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed outside the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were awaiting results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

The sheriff's office said none of the other contestants fell ill.

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside. He said he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches.

“Some people do have allergies to roaches,” he added, “but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

“We feel terribly awful,” said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest.

“He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice,” Siegel said, adding that Archbold was “the life of the party.”

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers “accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest.”

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

The Miami Herald reported the grand prize has been put aside in Archbold's name and will be given to his estate.

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects “that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles.”

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Reliving the moment a decade ago that shifted the Penguins history
  2. Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
  3. Sutter: Staal effect felt on 3rd line with Penguins
  4. Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
  5. Pregnant woman killed by gunfire in Brighton Heights, other shootings reported in city
  6. Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
  7. 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
  8. Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
  9. Leetsdale places police chief on paid leave
  10. New Pens winger Fehr ready for defense-first role
  11. NFL notebook: Chiefs’ Poe will miss time after back surgery