Sting operation: Beehives stolen from Washington County man
HICKORY — Police in a Washington County township are working a different kind of sting operation: They're trying to find seven beehives stolen from a well-known beekeeper.
Mark Bedillion said he's sold locally produced honey at his farm and market in Hickory since 2005. Neighbors tell police they saw four men drive away with the seven of the hives the beekeeper has at his home in East Finley Township. The hives were stolen Wednesday.
Bedillion expects another beekeeper is behind the thefts because beekeeping and locally produced honey are both becoming more popular. But that's not the only reason Bedillion suspects a competitor.
He says whoever stole the hives “would have gotten stung a lot if they weren't experienced. They might be in a hospital by now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Report blames pilot for 2011 Hawaii crash that killed Pittsburgh couple
- Stock market investors going full speed ahead
- Young Hotel residents moved to temporary shelter in Pitcairn
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- $500,000 OK’d as partial settlement in lawsuit from 2012 Pittsburgh flash flood
- Power fight urge to look ahead with playoffs looming
- Plug-in Accord makes gas station visits rare
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower