Ex-President George H.W. Bush in Texas hospital
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 12:48 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012
HOUSTON -- Former President George H.W. Bush was in a Houston hospital Thursday for treatment of a lingering cough.
Bush, 88, has been in and out of the hospital recently for complications resulting from bronchitis, Methodist Hospital said in a brief statement. Jean Becker, Bush's chief of staff in Houston, told the Houston Chronicle his most recent stay began Friday.
The hospital described Bush as in stable condition and said it expected to release him within 72 hours.
Becker told the newspaper that the former president's illness wasn't life-threatening, but there had been concerns early on that it could develop into pneumonia. Her office referred questions from The Associated Press to Bush's spokesman, who did not immediately respond to messages.
Bush and his wife, Barbara, make their winter home in Houston and spend summers in Kennebunkport, Maine.
Their son, former President George W. Bush, and his wife, former first lady Laura Bush, have been among the elder Bush's visitors. A spokesman for the younger Bush, who lives in Dallas, declined to comment and referred questions to the 41st president's representatives in Houston.
Bush was seen a few weeks ago attending a Houston Texans NFL game, something he does frequently.
The former president suffers a form of Parkinson's disease that has forced him to use a wheelchair or motorized scooter to get around.
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- Think you can be an on-air sports host? The Fan radio station hopes so, too
- Pittsburgh Wow! boasts a slam-bang June of events with plenty of options
- Comics take center stage at festival, convention in Pittsburgh
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Swim wear takes a plunge into the past for retro look
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.