‘Stand closer to the rhino’ results in grave wound
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 7:00 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 15, 2013
JOHANNESBURG — When do you not listen to the African wildlife expert? When he tells you to stand closer to the rhino.
That suggestion by a South African game park owner resulted in serious injuries to a 24-year-old woman from Johannesburg.
The Beeld newspaper reported Tuesday that Chantal Beyer said the game park owner snapped pictures and suggested that she “stand just a little bit closer” seconds before the attack. Photos show Beyer and her husband only feet away from two rhinos.
The paper said that just after the photo was snapped, the rhino attacked, and its horn penetrated Beyers' chest from behind, resulting in a collapsed lung and broken ribs, the paper said. The Aloe Ridge Hotel and Nature Reserve, where the incident took place, declined to comment Tuesday.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Senators boxed in by penalties
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Ganassi drivers Franchitti, Dixon facing an uphill battle at Indy 500
- Burrell relay, Springdale hurdler test their talents in PIAA prelims
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.