'Stand closer to the rhino' results in grave wound
JOHANNESBURG — When do you not listen to the African wildlife expert? When he tells you to stand closer to the rhino.
That suggestion by a South African game park owner resulted in serious injuries to a 24-year-old woman from Johannesburg.
The Beeld newspaper reported Tuesday that Chantal Beyer said the game park owner snapped pictures and suggested that she “stand just a little bit closer” seconds before the attack. Photos show Beyer and her husband only feet away from two rhinos.
The paper said that just after the photo was snapped, the rhino attacked, and its horn penetrated Beyers' chest from behind, resulting in a collapsed lung and broken ribs, the paper said. The Aloe Ridge Hotel and Nature Reserve, where the incident took place, declined to comment Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Woman’s body found in Mars home
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Police: 2 anti-violence organizers beat ex-roomie in Washington
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- Clairton police rounding up street-level drug dealers
- Movie studio owner building in McKees Rocks is $540K in red
- Profit falls at vitamin retailer GNC Holdings in third quarter