Norway cheese fire shuts down road tunnel
OSLO, Norway — A road tunnel in northern Norway will be shut for several weeks after a 27-ton truckload of sweet goat's milk cheese caught fire.
Regional traffic department chief Geir Joergensen says flames engulfed the tunnel last week and gases from the melting, brown load hindered firefighters. It took four days to put it out.
The driver was not hurt and no other vehicles were in the 2.2-mile tunnel at the time.
Joergensen said Wednesday that the tunnel near the small Arctic municipality of Tysfjord, some 840 miles north of the capital, Oslo, likely will be closed for two more weeks.
Goat's milk cheese, a sweet delicacy with a high sugar and fat content, is an essential part of many Norwegians' daily diet.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State AG Kane jumps in UPMC-Highmark dispute
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite previous comments
- Grand jury presentment: AG Kane lied, attempted to cover up leak
- Man found dead in Lower Burrell
- Plum students protest orders to keep mum about sex cases
- Whitehall man sentenced to time served for domestic assault of top prosecutor
- Woman shot in knee in Hazelwood
- Fayette man dies after accidental fire in home
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Committee picks plan to close Shaler Area's Jeffery Primary School