Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 12:54 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Munhall manager resigns
- Munhall police update abandoned-homes list
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Bullskin crash
- Reserve woman found shot to death in home
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.