Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- Hockey loses pair of legendary figures in Quinn, Tikhonov
- Pa. bear hunters off to good start
- Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson shooting
- Two judges with Pittsburgh ties announce candidacies for Pa. Supreme Court
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Turnpike employees disciplined over sexually explicit emails
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site
- Google lunar contest: Pittsburgh team unveils rover
- With sanctions, sliding oil prices, Russia losing more than $100B a year, finance minister says