Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Add surprise flavors to Thanksgiving turkey
- Bluegrass jam sessions bring out all types of musicians, fans
- Roasted almonds are a quick, simple snack
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Asian-flavored marinade flavors roasted turkey breast
- Penn State notebook: Nittany Lions linebacker Bell misses 1st game of season
- Chinese state media give profs a chilling warning
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar
- Newsmaker: Christopher W. Robinson
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in loss to Illinois