Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former drug dealer, addict give away groceries as part of church’s outreach
- Project SEED expands
- Scout’s kiosk to tell brave woman’s tale
- Electricity rates expected to increase this winter
- More companies embrace exchanges to curb health care costs
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Trib high school rankings for Sunday, Sept. 21
- Numbers down, but WPIAL teams boast top-notch golfers
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Pentagon program seeks to retain U.S. technological edge against foreign rivals
- Islamic State link with well-heeled companies or individuals targeted