Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Springdale trestle bridge deemed structurally sound
- New Kensington woman struck by vehicle, injured
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Alle-Kiski Valley deemed medically underserved
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Westmoreland museum spotlights artist John Kane’s late-in-life fame
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- January temperatures, snowfall unremarkable in Western Pennsylvania
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak