Teen performer at inaugural events fatally shot
CHICAGO - A 15-year-old majorette who performed at some of President Barack Obama's recent inauguration festivities has been shot to death in Chicago.
Police say Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back Tuesday in a South Side park and died at a city hospital.
Authorities say Hadiya was one of about 12 teenagers sheltering from heavy rain under a canopy when a man jumped a fence, ran toward the group and opened fire. The man fled the scene in a vehicle. No arrests have been made.
Police do not believe Hadiya was the intended target of the shooting. A teenage boy was shot in the leg. Police did not release his name.
Hadiya belonged to the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events in Washington, D.C.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Government survey: More teens trying out e-cigarettes than real thing
- Armstrong contributes to project to replace Kittanning retaining wall
- Charity helps dozens of McKeesport area children in need get new shoes
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- McKeesport Area student’s Project Christmas expands in 2nd year
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Munhall garbage collection rates to increase
- Old-school booksellers learn to survive, thrive in digital age
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats