New Castle man jailed after acknowledging girl 'crush'
A New Castle man faces a hearing on charges he raped a 5-year-old girl in 2003 after state prosecutors say he acknowledged having a crush on the girl during a recently recorded phone call.
Online court records don't list an attorney for 34-year-old Aaron Salzano, who faces a hearing Thursday on child rape other charges filed by the state attorney general's office.
Police say the alleged victim, now 15, told Lawrence County child welfare workers about the abuse in July. The agency had investigated Salzano's contact with the girl 10 years ago but determined sex abuse allegations were "unfounded" then.
A local paper reports the district attorney approved letting police record a call between the girl and Salzano, during which he acknowledged having sex with and a "crush" on the girl.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Biden, Ryan facing tough decisions
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Cole working to become Penguins’ next Martin on defense
- Pitt, WR Boyd look to break out against Virginia
- Opposing TEs Miller, Gates took differing paths to greatness
- Turkish PM says deadly attacks likely were suicide bombings
- Plum superintendent says lack of school tip line was ‘oversight’
- State woos Kennametal with $1M in incentives to stay in Pa.
- Pittsburgh’s bike sharing service starts off healthy
- Feds aim to bring Chinese military leaders to Pittsburgh for trial