Adult dead, children injured in N. Illinois school bus crash
WADSWORTH, Ill. — One person died and dozens of elementary school children were taken to hospitals Friday after a school bus crash in northern Illinois left two cars mangled and the bus on its side.
All 35 people aboard the bus survived the crash in Wadsworth, 45 miles north of Chicago, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran Jr. said.
The bus driver may have run a red light, Curran said. The bus driver was speaking with investigators.
“The bus ... struck the vehicle, essentially close to a T-bone on the passenger section of the Jeep Wrangler,” Curran said. The bus lay on its side with the two wrecked cars nearby, including the remains of a flattened yellow Jeep Wrangler, its front roll bar completely removed and the hood flattened and squashed into the two front seats. Debris was scattered in adjacent farm fields.
The coroner's office says a male died at the scene but did not provide other details. An autopsy is expected later today.
Josh McColough, a spokesman at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, said two children were in fair-to-serious condition, and 23 others taken to the hospital were listed as good-to-fair.
At Vista Medical Center East in Waukegan, spokesman John Griffin said one student there was in fair condition and five others were in good condition.
Most of the children climbed out of the bus through the back exit.
“Some of the kids were upbeat, jovial as if they just got off a ride at Great America,” Lake County Sheriff Chief Brian Keller said. “Other kids were asking for their mother or father and wanted to go home.”
The accident happened around 8 a.m. about a mile from Newport Elementary School, which has about 400 students.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Olympic swimmer Schmitt, a Ross native, owns her struggles
- Lowly job likely awaits former Pittsburgh police chief after prison
- PennDOT puts final touches on Route 28 construction
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Connellsville building owner uses graffiti to point out unsightly demolition debris
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset Twp. grocery store
- North Fayette man dies in 2-vehicle accident in Washington County
- Murray, Alpha notify West Virginia coal miners of layoffs