Police: Men threw dead animals into Brookville bar
BROOKVILLE — Police in a Jefferson County town are investigating a case of bar kill: dead animals tossed into a tavern by unsatisfied customers.
A groundhog was tossed into Bill's Bar on Sunday in Brookville, about 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, before a man sped off in a pickup driven by another man, The (Dubois) Courier-Express reported Wednesday. Hours later, the men returned and tossed in the dead grouse for good measure.
The suspects are an underage man who was refused service at the bar and another who was turned away because of “an alcohol problem,” Brookville police Chief Ken Dworek told The Associated Press.
“They're a couple of young, dissatisfied customers,” Dworek said.
He said he's hoping bystanders or customers, who have already given police a partial license plate number of the red pickup, will help identify the men.
The chief said such use of animals is a fairly common problem in Brookville, which he described as “a town of 4,000 in the midst of 400,000 acres” of open country.
“We have a lot of it up here. A guy will get in an argument and put a dead squirrel on his girlfriend's doorknob, that kind of thing,” Dworek said.
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is also investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds