Woman, 80, swallows diamond at Tampa charity event
TAMPA, Fla. — The idea behind the Tampa Women's Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Eighty-year-old Miriam Tucker accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local news media that she didn't want to put her finger in the champagne, so she drank a bit. While laughing with women at the table, she realized she swallowed it.
Embarrassed, she had to tell jewelers who were frantically searching for the winner.
Already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday, she had a doctor recover the jewel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Economy woman sentenced to 15 months for Medicare fraud
- Foundations’ deal to buy August Wilson Center could be in jeopardy
- Attorney General Kane injured in auto accident
- Butler County man sentenced to 9 years for child pornography
- Feds announce complaint hotlines for Tuesday election
- Space tourism rocket explodes, killing one person aboard
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Pitt renames building after retiring vice chancellor
- Cranberry supervisors look to cut health insurance costs