Woman, 80, swallows diamond at Tampa charity event
TAMPA, Fla. — The idea behind the Tampa Women's Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Eighty-year-old Miriam Tucker accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local news media that she didn't want to put her finger in the champagne, so she drank a bit. While laughing with women at the table, she realized she swallowed it.
Embarrassed, she had to tell jewelers who were frantically searching for the winner.
Already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday, she had a doctor recover the jewel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- Business roundup: IBM “flatly denies” report of mass layoffs; more
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Interest rates likely to stay low until fall
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Lower Burrell 5th-grader illustrates power of kindness with cancer charity
- College Basketball Tuesday: Standout freshmen guards meet in Big Ten showdown
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- MSA Safety products in demand to protect workers in dangerous jobs
- Baseball lover shared lifelong passion by coaching