Woman, 80, swallows diamond at Tampa charity event
TAMPA, Fla. — The idea behind the Tampa Women's Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Eighty-year-old Miriam Tucker accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local news media that she didn't want to put her finger in the champagne, so she drank a bit. While laughing with women at the table, she realized she swallowed it.
Embarrassed, she had to tell jewelers who were frantically searching for the winner.
Already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday, she had a doctor recover the jewel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Steelers’ defense rebounds after shaky 1st quarter, forces Texans into mistakes
- Allegheny County committee to hear about Ebola readiness
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Penn State notebook: Dieffenbach might return to help Lions’ offensive line
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- 12 selected for jury in Ferrante cyanide-poisoning trial
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation