German 'lost art' site posting another 101 works
BERLIN — German authorities are posting online another 101 works from the huge trove of art found at a reclusive collector's apartment in Munich, bringing the total so far to 219.
The task force looking into the find said Thursday that prosecutors in Augsburg have cleared drawings and watercolors by artists including Edgar Degas, Paul Cezanne, Pablo Picasso, Eugene Delacroix, Honore Daumier and Albrecht Duerer for posting on the official “Lost Art” website. They're among the works officials believe may have been seized under the Nazis.
Authorities found more than 1,400 works of art at Cornelius Gurlitt's Munich apartment last year while investigating a tax case. Prosecutors are checking whether up to 590 pieces were seized by the Nazis.
Officials started gradually posting the works online earlier this month.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves forward
- Generous Leechburg boy receives Christmas surprise from secret Santa
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Toast of the Town: Explore Lawrenceville’s many watering holes
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale