Florida cops hand out lottery tickets to speeders on Christmas
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Police in a central Florida city have been issuing scratch-off lottery tickets instead of speeding fines to Christmas Day travelers.
By early Wednesday afternoon, Melbourne Police officers had handed out 30 lottery tickets along with warnings to drivers caught speeding or violating other traffic laws.
Sgt. Jamie Rocque was quoted by Florida Today as saying that officers bought the lottery tickets with their own money to spread a bit of holiday cheer while ensuring public safety.
Rocque says the officers have gotten “a lot of surprised looks.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Fox Chapel grad VIllani performing magic for Wizards
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Package thefts can be prevented, police, experts say
- Tarentum Bridge falcon defends turf as eagles scout nesting locations