Florida cops hand out lottery tickets to speeders on Christmas
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Police in a central Florida city have been issuing scratch-off lottery tickets instead of speeding fines to Christmas Day travelers.
By early Wednesday afternoon, Melbourne Police officers had handed out 30 lottery tickets along with warnings to drivers caught speeding or violating other traffic laws.
Sgt. Jamie Rocque was quoted by Florida Today as saying that officers bought the lottery tickets with their own money to spread a bit of holiday cheer while ensuring public safety.
Rocque says the officers have gotten “a lot of surprised looks.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- Penn Avenue site tops group’s preservation list
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Bruins lose star Chara to knee injury
- Doll, miniature collectors appreciate small details at Westmoreland show
- Hit-run motorist in Mt. Lebanon sought
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- ‘Rocky Horror’ takes center stage at Regent Square, Greensburg venues
- Westmoreland Symphony conductor to lead ‘Young Person’s Guide’