Florida cops hand out lottery tickets to speeders on Christmas
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Police in a central Florida city have been issuing scratch-off lottery tickets instead of speeding fines to Christmas Day travelers.
By early Wednesday afternoon, Melbourne Police officers had handed out 30 lottery tickets along with warnings to drivers caught speeding or violating other traffic laws.
Sgt. Jamie Rocque was quoted by Florida Today as saying that officers bought the lottery tickets with their own money to spread a bit of holiday cheer while ensuring public safety.
Rocque says the officers have gotten “a lot of surprised looks.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Captured: Manhunt ends for Pa. trooper ambush suspect Frein
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Day 7 of Ferrante trial expected to include testimony from victim’s colleague
- Rossi: The best Penguins defense is ... a potent offense
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet wants Letang to shoot more on power play
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents