Florida cops hand out lottery tickets to speeders on Christmas
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Police in a central Florida city have been issuing scratch-off lottery tickets instead of speeding fines to Christmas Day travelers.
By early Wednesday afternoon, Melbourne Police officers had handed out 30 lottery tickets along with warnings to drivers caught speeding or violating other traffic laws.
Sgt. Jamie Rocque was quoted by Florida Today as saying that officers bought the lottery tickets with their own money to spread a bit of holiday cheer while ensuring public safety.
Rocque says the officers have gotten “a lot of surprised looks.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School has interim principal
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Bill Clinton to campaign next week for Tom Wolf in Pittsburgh
- Chevron’s $20M to improve Pennsylvania workforce
- Seven in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Sheriff’s sale delayed for historic Conneaut Lake Park