Florida cops hand out lottery tickets to speeders on Christmas
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Police in a central Florida city have been issuing scratch-off lottery tickets instead of speeding fines to Christmas Day travelers.
By early Wednesday afternoon, Melbourne Police officers had handed out 30 lottery tickets along with warnings to drivers caught speeding or violating other traffic laws.
Sgt. Jamie Rocque was quoted by Florida Today as saying that officers bought the lottery tickets with their own money to spread a bit of holiday cheer while ensuring public safety.
Rocque says the officers have gotten “a lot of surprised looks.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- 3-alarm fire burns Hill District row homes
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Butler County teen dies in ATV accident
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- 3 charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Easier home loan rules worry some
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers
- Improved play against zone keys Pitt’s turnaround