Police: Man stole sanitizer from UPMC Altoona to make cocktails
ALTOONA — Police have charged a man with stealing 12 bottles of hand sanitizer from a central Pennsylvania hospital, so he could mix it with orange juice and drink it for the alcohol it contained.
The Altoona Mirror reports 51-year-old Lee Ammerman has been mailed a summons requiring him to surrender Feb. 5 on charges of theft and receiving stolen property.
Police say an employee at UPMC Altoona hospital saw Ammerman steal a bottle of sanitizer by hiding it in an arm sling he was wearing in October. Police say Ammerman returned to steal more sanitizer twice in December.
Police say they confronted Ammerman who acknowledged stealing the sanitizer, telling police “I mix the liquid with orange juice.”
The hospital is seeking about $80 in restitution.
Ammerman doesn't have a listed phone or an attorney listed in court records.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Century Inn owner hopes to reopen Washington County landmark, gutted by fire, by end of next year
- Police arrest man in Homestead bank robbery
- France honors attack victims in city subdued by mourning
- Pittsburgh nonprofit 412 Food Rescue takes surplus food to needy
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run