Florida man guilty of sex assaults
By Mary Pickels
Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 6, 2012
A Fayette County jury on Friday found a Florida man guilty of 10 counts of sexual assault.
Scott Alan Kelly, 40, of Orlando was found not guilty of one count of aggravated indecent assault and one count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.
A jury deliberated for about four hours before returning the verdicts to the courtroom of Judge Steve Leskinen.
The two-day trial was Kelly's second time in court on those charges.
In June, he was found guilty of two counts of corruption of minors. Leskinen declared a mistrial when the jury foreman said the panel could not reach a unanimous verdict on 12 related charges.
Kelly was accused of sexually assaulting a boy and girl, now adults, in the late 1990s in homes in Uniontown, Connellsville and Markleysburg.
The charges he was found of guilty of on Friday included three counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, one count of statutory sexual assault, two counts of aggravated indecent assault and four counts of indecent assault.
Leskinen said he would refer the case to the Pennsylvania Sexual Offenders Assessment Board to determine if Kelly should be classified as a sexually violent predator.
He will set a sentencing date following that assessment.
Kelly was returned to Fayette County Prison in lieu of posting $150,000 bond.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
- Catholic Churches of Connellsville hosts first Feast of All Nations
- Bicycle corridor plan gets Connellsville’s OK
- 4 Fayette County positions at stake in primary
- Frazier board to hold hearing on school projects
- Dawson council, VFD members to meet
- Geibel names 2013’s top students
- DeWitt claims politics played into charges against him
- Perryopolis announces Memorial Day plans
- Upper Tyrone family helps pet overcome paralysis
- Connellsville council to make appointments, reappointments
- Former Mill Run man to be tried for rape
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.