Leases for hangers at Connellsville Airport now on annual basis
Those individuals who lease hangars at the Joseph A. Hardy Connellsville Airport will have to return their lease agreements to the airport authority by Dec. 31.
The Fayette County Airport Authority said Wednesday that leases will be on an annual basis and run from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31 each year. While the leases are on a yearly basis, those leasing the hangars have the option to renew annually for four consecutive years.
Solicitor Gretchen Mundorff said the FAA is now requiring lease agreements, which the airport authority did not have in previous years. Earlier this year, a motion was passed to initiate lease agreements.
On Wednesday, board members Fred Davis and Matt Thomas voted against the motion requiring return of the lease agreements by the end of the year.
Davis said he opposed because he still felt there was language in the lease agreement that was not required by the FAA that “creates onerous burdens on the individuals.”
Thomas said he realizes the authority has to implement leases but felt “there was a better way to work it out.”
In other business, board member Myrna Giannopoulos will send out information to board members about changes she thinks are necessary in the airport's bylaws.
She said Wednesday there are a number of things in the by-laws that aren't even being done at this point, including the portion of the by-laws that says the reorganization meeting is held the third Thursday of January, when the board doesn't even meet on Thursdays.
She said the by-laws also state that the authority will hold a working meeting as well as the regular meeting. The authority hasn't had a working meeting for a long time.
She said she would also like to put term limits on how long an individual can serve on the board.
Davis said that would be encroaching on the commissioners' prerogatives, because they are the appointing authority.
Mundorff said it is a good idea for a board to review the by-laws periodically.
In other business, the board passed a motion to reject all bids for a roof replacement project because the bids all came in too far above the budget.
Airport Manager Mary Lou Fast said officials will regroup next week and see if they can put together something that might work a little better and then re-advertise.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Albert Gallatin bus driver pleads guilty to sexual assault
- Longtime Connellsville area business closes its doors
- Connellsville Health Board airs ordinance issues
- Fayette Friends of Animals volunteer uses talent to help get her shelter animals adopted
- Fayette jail foes want county to be stricken as intervenor in case
- Breakneck Church to hold flea market, bake sale
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Contest seeks Fayette student entries to name road to jail
- Export man must register as sex offender
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance
- Sirochman: Fayette genealogy workshop planned for Wednesday