Leases for hangers at Connellsville Airport now on annual basis
Those individuals who lease hangars at the Joseph A. Hardy Connellsville Airport will have to return their lease agreements to the airport authority by Dec. 31.
The Fayette County Airport Authority said Wednesday that leases will be on an annual basis and run from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31 each year. While the leases are on a yearly basis, those leasing the hangars have the option to renew annually for four consecutive years.
Solicitor Gretchen Mundorff said the FAA is now requiring lease agreements, which the airport authority did not have in previous years. Earlier this year, a motion was passed to initiate lease agreements.
On Wednesday, board members Fred Davis and Matt Thomas voted against the motion requiring return of the lease agreements by the end of the year.
Davis said he opposed because he still felt there was language in the lease agreement that was not required by the FAA that “creates onerous burdens on the individuals.”
Thomas said he realizes the authority has to implement leases but felt “there was a better way to work it out.”
In other business, board member Myrna Giannopoulos will send out information to board members about changes she thinks are necessary in the airport's bylaws.
She said Wednesday there are a number of things in the by-laws that aren't even being done at this point, including the portion of the by-laws that says the reorganization meeting is held the third Thursday of January, when the board doesn't even meet on Thursdays.
She said the by-laws also state that the authority will hold a working meeting as well as the regular meeting. The authority hasn't had a working meeting for a long time.
She said she would also like to put term limits on how long an individual can serve on the board.
Davis said that would be encroaching on the commissioners' prerogatives, because they are the appointing authority.
Mundorff said it is a good idea for a board to review the by-laws periodically.
In other business, the board passed a motion to reject all bids for a roof replacement project because the bids all came in too far above the budget.
Airport Manager Mary Lou Fast said officials will regroup next week and see if they can put together something that might work a little better and then re-advertise.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Veterans court program to begin in Fayette
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Purple Heart recipient from Connellsville Township soldiers on
- Lynn: DL&V fire department selling tickets for Sportsmen’s Bash
- Defense: Friendship led to death penalty pursuit in Fayette case
- FEMA to review Fayette’s flood plains