Connellsville Community Center plans holiday to remember
The Greater Connellsville Area Community Center advisory board is working hard to put together a weekend to remember.
“Christmas in the Community,” Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, will include everything from movies and caroling to a visit from Santa.
The idea to host a fun night for the community was that of advisory board member Gary Colatch, who said he wanted to have a fun event that would bring members of the community into the center to see what the facility had to offer.
The advisory board is hoping to do just that with the Christmas event.
Events at the community center will kick off Nov. 30, with doors opening at 6 p.m. The community center will be decorated in lights and there will be a hall of trees that will be decorated and donated by different organizations and businesses in town.
A craft show is being planned.
Outside, a bonfire will be glowing and carolers will be singing from 6 to 7 p.m., just about the time Santa will arrive on a fire truck.
The fun will return the following day, Dec. 1, with the doors opening at noon and closing at 5:30 p.m.
On Dec. 1 there will be a puppet show as well as a movie in the Edwin S. Porter Theater.
A children's dress-up contest is being planned for after the movie.
At the end of the day, a tree drawing will be held for the Christmas trees that will be on display.
The advisory board is meeting Thursday to finalize plans as well as to continue discussing options to bring money into the community center.
Patty Firestone is looking into a memory lane fundraiser as well as a membership drive.
The memory lane fundraiser would include the sale of bricks to the public that would have names engraved of loved ones. The bricks would be displayed outside the community center.
The advisory board is discussing the possibility of sending out a donation letter to community businesses and organizations.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man, 82, accused of trying to rape home health aide may get probation
- Father, son offered plea deals in child pornography case in Fayette County
- Man charged with sexual assaults on girl in Fayette
- 2nd defendant to enter plea in Connellsville homicide
- 3 accused in Uniontown in use of stolen credit card
- Connellsville native, puppeteer makes it to semifinals of ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Connellsville father to plead guilty in stabbing
- Agriculture chief touts local products in Fayette County visit
- Bridge, road grants OK’d for work in Perry Township
- Winery proposed for dry Saltlick
- Engine roar lures fans to Fayette County Fair Demolition Derby