Connellsville Area High School renovations progressing
Connellsville Area High School renovations are continuing as the year's end draws near.
The district's board members received an update this week by John Pappas, manager of Eckles Construction. He said emphasis is on auditorium renovations and construction of a new auxiliary gymnasium.
Pappas said the auditorium is approaching the finishing stages. Concrete for the stage extension was poured this week, and the stage rigging is nearly completed. Ceramic-tile work has started, and installation of the flooring should begin in the next week or so. Seats are expected the first week of December.
“In the commons area, the walls are all built and the structural steel on the entrance is up,” Pappas said, adding that the World Trade Center steel is on site and ready to be placed.
Regarding the auxiliary gym, Pappas said the focus is getting the additions built so that the roofs can be installed and the building weather-tight before the first snowfall.
Structural steel, joists and decking are installed. Crews are working on the north wall of the auxiliary gym and then move to the south wall.
Regarding on-campus work, Pappas said the new visitors parking lot, visitors entrance drive and students entrance drive are being paved. After those jobs are completed, the entire focus will be on the additions.
Board members, meanwhile, have approved more than $50,000 in change orders:
• Walter Mucci Construction Co. — $8,026 for plaster, perimeter wall drywall and metal stud walls; $15,179 for scoreboard upgrading, addition of players' stat panels and a logo panel.
• Hranec Corp. — $6,444.89 in association with making Americans With Disabilities Act modifications to the science fume hoods
• Westmoreland Electric —$3,111 for additional light fixtures in the corridors and boiler room; $4,579 for wiring the spray booths and exhaust fans in the art rooms; $2,089 for additional lighting over the auditorium catwalk; and $11,493 for costs associated with upgrading the VBrick System.
The Contingency Fund, set up as part of PlanCON G, was for $1,229,734. With this week's change orders, the board to this point has approved $285,672.30, leaving $944,061.70 in the contingency fund.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- The fair is back
- Connellsville lecture on Saturday to focus on rejected human-rights ordinance
- Litigants against Fayette jail look to join forces
- Export man must register as sex offender
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike
- Fayette attorney wants defense counsel disqualified
- Old bricks get new purpose, Connellsville gets paved street
- Fayette communities come together on forming land bank
- Connellsville Area Ministerial Association’s Adopt A Block party to provide fun, food, fellowship
- Dirt Road Sunset bands together to help veterans
- ‘Hairspray’ coming to Uniontown theater