Everson church hosting Community Christmas Party
Everson Evangelical Church will open its doors on Saturday to celebrate the Christmas season.
The church, at 414 Painter St. in Everson, will host a community Christmas party from 5 to 9 p.m.
“We wanted to do something different and reach out to the community by offering fellowship and food,” Pastor Kevin Murrell said.
The free event will begin with a turkey dinner from 5 to 7 p.m., followed by activities that include story times, a puppet show and a visit by Santa Claus.
“In the past, we have had Christmas parties, but this is the first year we have done it on this level. And it's not just for the Everson community — it's for everyone. We are all part of a community,” event co-chairperson Mona Sleasman of Connellsville said.
The dinner will consist of turkey; mashed potatoes and gravy; stuffing; several vegetables; rolls and butter, cake; and hot and cold beverages. Church members are preparing the meal.
“We've had around 100 RSVPs so far,” Sleasman said. “We're preparing food for at least 200. We're hoping that we will have even more than that come through the doors and that God will bless the food and it will go as far as it needs to.”
Gifts will be given to those in attendance — one for the family and one for the children. Sleasman and Murrell said that several local businesses, church members and community members have donated money, time and gift items.
“We had a lot of help from the area establishments that have donated gifts for the bags, and we are very grateful for that. These kids are going to get a lot of things they otherwise would not have gotten,” Sleasman said.
Reservations are preferable but not mandatory. To RSVP, call 724-887-7633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda Harkcom is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 82-year-old accused of trying to rape home health aide may get probation
- Father, son offered plea deals in child pornography case in Fayette County
- Man charged with sexual assaults on girl in Fayette
- Connellsville father to plead guilty in stabbing
- 2nd defendant to enter plea in Connellsville homicide
- Record golf ball collection drives Connellsville native
- 4 projects suggested for block grant funding in Connellsville
- Connellsville native, puppeteer makes it to semifinals of ‘America’s Got Talent’
- More vandalism charges filed against Mt. Pleasant pair
- Bridge, road grants OK’d for work in Perry Township
- 3 accused in Uniontown in use of stolen credit card