Fayette County man catches alleged burglar in the act
By From Staff Reports
Published: Monday, Dec. 31, 2012, 10:46 p.m.
A Masontown man was arrested for allegedly stealing copper wire and bolt cutters from a Fayette County natural gas pumping station thanks to an inquisitive neighbor.
Jerry L. Stewart, 30, faces charges of burglary, criminal trespass, theft, receiving stolen property, possession of an instrument of a crime, criminal mischief, defiant trespass and driving with a suspended license.
The incident occurred at a pumping station along Lutheran Church Road, German, around 3 p.m. Sunday.
State police said a man, whom they did not name, discovered a vehicle parked in his driveway and saw a single set of shoe prints leading from the vehicle to the pumping station. The man decided to investigate and found a hole was cut through the chain-link fence surrounding the station.
The witness then saw Stewart walking out of a utility trailer at the station, carrying copper wire and bolt cutters, police said.
Stewart ran when the witness tried to talk with him. The man chased and subdued Stewart and held him until police arrived.
Stewart is being held in the Fayette County jail after failing to post $50,000 bond.
He faces a preliminary hearing on Wednesday before Masontown District Judge Randy Abraham.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lemont woman accused of stealing purses, using credit cards
- Closure of West Side News shocks previous owners
- Police pursuit ends with Smithfield suspect wounded, thirsty for beer
- Connellsville Community Yard Sale set May 3; enrollment deadline is April 28
- Recording studio joins Connellsville community center’s growing artist enclave
- West Leisenring band’s EP release party to benefit firefighters
- Election board rejects ballot referendum on Fayette County prison issues
- Texas company offers investment in millions to upgrade Everson plant
- Geibel alumnus Sammy Brooks to perform jazz during tuition fundraiser on Saturday
- Masontown girl pulls off heroic task at state farm show
- Everson council to meet on Monday