Ladies Day Out Work Out fundraiser geared toward looking, feeling good
By Marilyn Forbes
Published: Friday, Jan. 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
For those who made New Year's resolutions to get in shape, lose weight or contribute more to the community, an upcoming fundraiser on Saturday will satisfy all those goals and more.
The second annual “Ladies Day Out Work Out” event will be held from noon to 3 p.m. at Connellsville Junior High, with all proceeds to benefit the Connellsville boys basketball team.
“It is the first of the year and a time for resolutions,” event organizer Mary Ann Bauer said. “The fundraiser is for women — from young girls to grandmothers — and we hope to see high school students, teachers, mothers and more attend.”
The event will offer many fitness and health opportunities for women of all ages, and will serve as both an educational and entertaining afternoon.
Those who attend can select from different classes to be offered, opting for the ones that most fit their needs or interests.
“The fundraiser consists of exercise and instruction for women,” Bauer said. “You can take one or all of the classes.”
Classes offered will include exercise, fitness and health. Several instructors from the area are lending their time and expertise.
“There are fitness instructors that are volunteering their time to show different forms of exercise,” Bauer said. “The first session will consist of Drew Smith from John Murtha Wellness Center showing women how to do a fitness assessment and Don Witt will then demonstrate a session on self-defense for women.”
Following the self-defense class, there will be a series of exercise and fitness options.
“The instructors are Missy Troxell from Mt. Pleasant and Donegal Community Center; Tarah DeWitt and Heidi Lubich from Local Motion; Joy Bartlow from Kings Physical Therapy; and Kristen Porter,” Bauer said. “Instruction will be zumba, kickboxing, cardio, and Zumba Gold. Each will give instruction for a 20-minute period with five sessions.”
The event also will feature a Chinese auction, a 50/50 drawing and numerous vendors.
“There will be vendors there where items can be purchased and parties can be planned,” Bauer said. “The vendors so far are Avon, Thirty-One, Tastefully Simple, It Works, Pennies from Heaven; Specialty Dips, O International, and Pampered Chef.”
“It's a great opportunity for those who choose to take advantage of the afternoon,” Bauer said. “Give the fundraiser a try. It is a great time to exercise, feel good and share some laughs.”
Cost for the event is $10 per person. Please see any high school basketball player or call 724-880-0844 to purchase a ticket. Tickets will also be available at the door.
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville area benefits from tourism grant program
- $1.3M equipment, which lowers voltage, leaves Connellsville for Charleroi
- Connellsville police hitting the streets on foot and bikes
- Brush fire season keeps Fayette firefighters busy
- Connellsville’s new curfew —with stiffer penalties — to begin on April 26
- Attorney says Fayette County officials’ policy on recording goes against state law
- Everson council to meet on Monday
- Connellsville not yet worried about possible CDBG cuts
- Fayette County candy stores say public sweet on jelly beans as well as chocolate
- No date set for closing on proposed hotel property in Connellsville
- Fayette County residents driving force behind PAlitFest